From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:37:20 -0500
Kirk,

This is going to sound strange but I took a part of the advice from someone
on the list and made a paste using old melter honey, borax soap, powdered
sugar and water.  I kept the borax at about 10% (like most commercial
poisons) and made it the consistency of thin lube grease put it in a cheap
air grease gun ($20.00) and using the thin pencil like tip I use for my
chainsaw I injected it into drinking straws.  If the tip fits the straw you
can place it well inside and shoot it in till 2" from the end and pull it out
so that it's 2" from the other end also.  I've put these on my pallets in the
yards that are traditionally ant problems and it works so far.  I run Myers
clips on my pallet so there is a 3/8-1/2" gap between the boxes and that's
where I've dropped a straw between each box (2/pallet).  You can fill quite a
few straws with one gun load and very fast too. FWIW  If your a real
cheapskate you can refill the old straw after you dig it out.   No apparent
problem with the bees.

I also need some advice on building a electric bear fence.  Is it the same as
a fence for cows or is the configuration different.  I've picked up some new
locations that had bear sightings within a mile last year.  These are good
ones so I'd like to risk keeping out the bears.  Thanks!

Brian Tassey
Atwater, CA