Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:19:05 GMT
>>See caveat on oxalic acid here: http://www.stratford-upon-
avon.freeserve.co.uk/Newsletters/April2006.htm

Thank you, Peter.  I would expect some brood kill.  I believe the
recommended rate from Finland that I've used with excellent results
is 4 ml per bee space (the Greek study used 5 ml) but perhaps this
difference does not affect the results much.  I would also apply only
one treatment - has been very effective for me and I've read repeated
treatments can cause queen problems.  Perhaps this explains the Greek
observations of 4 months of brood problems.

I have a couple of other options.  Treat with sucrocide which I did
not find effective 2 years ago (and I thought I saw decreased brood
rearing).  Or wait until November and treat then.  It would be useful
to see how the bees from my queen cope with varroa pressure...

Waldemar
Long Island, NY