From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:17:38 -0400
​>​
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Georges Prigent <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> "I am aware of B. thuringiensis but have not been able to find details of
> Melonex can you point me to a web page "
>
> You have to write MELLONEX double L
> https://www.biovet.ch/media/downloads/132/Gebrauchsanweisung_MELLONEX_.pdf
> Name also B401 both forbidden now, in France and some other European
> countries because Bruxelles has changed the product status from insecticide
> to biocide. Then to expensive and long delay for the company to obtain a
> new AMM.

​I have experimented with the use of B401 / Certan from Vita-Europe for the
control of wax moths and can verify that the product works very well​.

http://www.vita-europe.com/products/b401/

The Vita (Europe) Ltd. web site lists 2 distributors in the USA and one in
Canada (relevant to me) and many in Europe.  However the USA distributors
do not carry the product as it is not or no longer registered for use in
the USA and my understanding is that is no longer registered in Canada.

I have been told through correspondence a year ago +/- with Vita, that the
registration was not renewed in the USA because of the lack of sales.  I
was told by a Canadian source that the Canadian registration became invalid
when the product name was changed from Certan to B401 (or the other way
around) and it has not been reregistered.   Oddly enough B401 is
available in Canada but cannot be sold in Canada but can be sold and
shipped to the USA?

I would like to know where B401 / Certan is currently registered.  And how
its use is viewed, as it would be a contaminant in honey even though there
is no human effect according to Vita. But "not determined" per the MSDS:

http://www.vita-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/B401_MSDS.pdf

If there is not a downside, the use of this product to control wax moths
would be very valuable to us.  The storage area we use to store equipment .
frames in winter is heated and we do not hive an unheated area
affordably available.

This year I experimented on  a few brood frames with XenTeri a form of BT
aizawai registered for use on crops here in the USA .

https://www.valent.com/agriculture/products/xentari/

This product was never intended to be used in the hive and I DO NOT
recommend its use!  There was much chatter posted on BS some years ago
about using this to control wax moths on stored frames.  I can report that
the product works but other than not being legal in the USA for use with
honeybees,  the inert / other ingredients are not listed and they MAY be
harmful to humans. I do not know.

I would think that if there is no downside in the use of B401 or Mellonex,
there would be a market for the product here in the USA.  A bit expensive
but a better alternative to paradichlorobenzene.

I would be interested in any comments from the researchers and
chemist out there on B401 or Mellonex.  Would it be worthwhile to seek
registration in North America?

And a final irony,  on the Certified Naturally Grown web site, the use of
XenTari, Able, Agree WG is permitted for the control of wax moths even
though those products are not registered (here in the USA) for the use with
honeybees.  The staff and board of the CNG group are all from the USA and
should know better.

Dennis
western NYS, USA