From:
Gini Free <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:21:31 -0800
>First of all, thanks to all of you that have been giving me advice on
>getting started. It has been very helpful.
>
>        The hive is ready, got the smoker & veil, bees should be here mid
>April, however I am still debating where I should put my bees. I live in
>Gainesville, Florida which was Tree City USA a few years ago. I live on the
>outskirts of town. My parents live on 5 acres in the country about 1/2 hour
>from here. My debate is do I put them in the country where there may be
>more pollen sources but I will only be able to observe them once a week
>(sometimes every other week). Or do I keep them in the city where I can
>observe their flying, etc. daily but may not have as much pollen source?
>Kelley

On the same vein ( ie. getting started) I'm in Calif., right above
Sacramento on the way towards Tahoe,
and I'm all set up-hives, equipment, etc., and am looking for a source of
either Midnite or Starlite
bee packages..however, the local bee folk around here tell me that "they"(?)
won't ship to our area
or won't gaurantee live delivery. The sources they know of are back east, or
south.  Is there anyone
around my area that has packages w/queens of the above strain for sale? If
not, has anyone had any
experience with shipping from back there? The other problem is that they
won't ship till April, guess
it's too cold there, but here, the orchard is all in bloom already. This
mite thing has been a real
tragedy around here; usually by this time there are so many bees at my place
that it sounds like an
airport when you step outside--this year NOT ONE BEE! So sad, so stange to
have none buzzing about..

Anyway, any advice, addresses, sources, shipping procedures, etc. would be
greatly appreciated; time's
a-wastin!!

--
Free Farm II; home of Chimera Dobermanns, Annabee Dairy Goats, and various other
four-footed, furred, feathered, finned and hoofed people.