Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 08:13:18 -0500
> IMHO it's these temps in late February/early March and late, late springs
> (standing snow into May) that we've been having the last few years that are
> hard on the colonies.

Big Amen.

If they are loaded with Varroa they don't even make it to spring, much less
fall. If they are in decent shape, they will make it to spring but I have
seen  bees in great shape succumb to Spring cold. Starvation because they
could not get to the honey an inch away.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine