From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 00:02:35 +0700
> Well, I have gotten SOME advice.Still nothing real
> positive.Background: The Hives have no mite problems, the were
> checked & certified free. Also, they have no top entrances.As
> far as strong colonies, all were fairly strong, not record
> breakers, but not puny either.They seem to get hit when it cools
> down & they cluster, then those god-damn moths start & go
> through like shit though a cane break. For some reason the bees
> never get around to whacking them before they get whacked.Still
> waiting for ideas.

Hmmm.

We talk about wax moths like there was only one kind.

Well, there are several, and some are a whole lot harder to deal with
than others.

I picked some up down East one time years ago and it took years to
lose them.

They were one of the 'greater' types and they were tough.  They would
hide in cracks and just keep coming back.

If you can't arrange to get all the equipment frozen solid, then
your best bet is to make sure that all the equipment is very well
aired out at all times, and that there is no more equipment on the
bees than they can occupy.

Fumigation is now a controversial matter.

Wax moths cannot survive exposure to air circulation.  They thrive in
enclosed space.

Somehow, though, I wonder if you are experiencing something new.
Perhaps you should get specimens and have them identified at your
nearest university.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>