From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 12:29:21 -0500
Jim Moore wrote:

"        Both my new hives are proceeding nicely.  In each case a couple
frames had the fondation drawn with a small portion with two layers.
Size: about 2x4 inches oval."

One thing that will cause this is to start with nine frames of foundation.
Start with ten, and then spread to nine (for ease of removal) after the ten
are drawn.

If you cut the second layer out, it will be hard to get the buggers to draw
that area back out flat.  Try moving it to the edge of the brood nest,
maybe one frame beyond, and then replace it when they emerge.  You
may have trouble with the replacement if the mating frame (next to the
old double comb area) is recessed.  They can't live with that extra
space.  It is probably best to move both the double comb and the mating
one out of the brood area.

I have this problem also on hives I don't get into as much as I should.
Comments, anyone?

Gerry Visel
phone:  (815) 226-6620
fax:       (815) 394-5438 or -2827