From:
"Gary C. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:38:47 -0700
BEEHOME.YXY (31 lines)
Hi Bee People,
   My Bees will be shipped to me on Monday the 20th. Two four
 pound packages with queens. I need some advice. I have no drawn
foundation, there is some in one of last years hives but it has
some mold on it. I do however have ten frames with honey from last
season. Should I place some of the frames with honey into the
bottom supers and then place a second super above that and allow
the Bees to draw out the foundation above or should I place the
frames with honey in the upper super?
  I will be feeding with syrup as well as "Crisco Patties". I
have real pollen as well as pollen substitute. How should I feed
the pollen and the substitute?
  Some may remember I posted this past winter about one hive
having been completly empty after only a few weeks. Some suggest
ed that perhaps it was do to "T. mites" others said I had provided
to much room for the bees.
  I lost my second hive due to bad luck and being stupid. I
started to feed syrup in February. My hive was tipped forward
so and moisture would run out. What this did was allow for the
vacuum to be broken in the fed pail and the syrup ran down over
the cluster and the bees died from the wet and cold. I know
stupid I remind myself of this everytime I see the empty hive.
  So if anyone can address the above questions I would help greatly.
Thank You...

Gary C. Lewis
Duke Center, Pa.