From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2017 12:14:00 -0400
>In conclusion, our data support that a reduced V. destructor mite reproductive success seems to
be a key factor for natural colony survival. However, grooming and VSH are unlikely for this
Norwegian case. Instead, yet unidentified behavioral traits of work bees seem sufficient to
explain reduced mite reproductive success. Therefore, the underlying mechanisms remain elusive
and should be a focus of future studies taking advantage of naturally selected survivors.

Why would these researchers hypothesize that a "yet unidentified trait of work bees" is a probable factor in mitigating mite reproduction? Why not natural selection moving toward a less virulent mite that's in balance with the host. Also the survivor colonies are ~60km from the nearest colonies that require more treatment. That seems like enough distance to isolate the mite population from drifting virulent mites.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT