From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:34:26 -0500
Josh, Bob,
Thanks for the comments.

Today was the second time this summer that the temperature reached 30
degrees Celsius! - with a few fairly warm  days to follow.

Colonies have had 3 supers on since the beginning of the canola bloom
started (6 weeks ago) - and several managed to fill upto 15 frames
equivalent.

I am clearing these boxes to extract the honey, which inevitably is
starting to crystallize due to period of time in place (little bee
activity and poor weather conditions.
To replace with extracted boxes is quite a chore - the bees are so
numerous that the empty box under the clearer board being used are
generally 2/3 full of bees (value approx.).
Whilst placing the extracted box, the bees overflow the sides by the
hundreds - result = inevitable crushing of bees.

Brushing to clear is ineffective. These are the bees on top of the queen
excluder - the others clustering/ hanging in the box are dumped in front
of the hive entrance.
To limit apiary disturbance - this placing of replacement boxes is being
done just before nightfall (not expecting robbing to set in - but I am
not giving the opportunity nor taking the chance with such powerful
colonies).

This season I took the decision to treat V.d with Formic acid fumes.
The reasons for this were:
Provincial apiarist for Manitoba indicating that resistant varroa were
present in the areas adjoining my locality.

Having no experience with acarine - this treatment would treat those
mites at the same time (allowing me to settle into Canadian beekeeping
methodology without too many pressures at the same time).

It would require me to start on a program tracking the population growth
of mites in my colonies - allowing for data to be collected and used in
a control program.

A clear cut nectar flow was normal in the area - one finishing before
diminishing temperatures became a problem.

What happens - extended nectar flow in place, with powerful colonies to
be treated with an approaching temp. deadline.

One can see the pull / attractiveness of the strip treatment mentality.

PS. Interesting points made regarding Aster honey and winter survival.
Sunflowers being the last major flow in my area whilst in France, were
used to fill brood boxes for winter feed. Aster and Sunflowers both
belong to the Compositae. Had no problem from sunflower honey, there
again, spring started in early March!!!!

Again thanks,
Peter