From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 11:56:31 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Ted Wout
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>Now I know that if you ask ten beekeepers a question you'll get eleven
>different answers.  Isn't there some common wisdom?  Or could it be that certain
>situations require different strategies?
>
>I may be starting some controversy but I'm wondering why I've heard
>conflicting advice on queen introduction.

It seems to me this is because there are not enough beekeepers asking
*why ?* Too many doing what they are told without understanding what
they are told. (no-one on the list of course !)
Of course we don't understand everything and there are different
strategies but I find you have to test and question what you are told.
Why are there attendants ? What will the bees think if six strange bees
appear in the brood nest ? Which way up are queen cells ? Do mated
queens come out of cells ? Where are supercedure cells found ? Under
what conditions does a Queen walk in ? Are the bees waiting for a virgin
or a mated queen ?
There are also some practical realities. How much was your Buckfast and
are you willing to risk $$ ? Got any more queens ? What stage of the
season are you at ? Is there a flow on ?

I just love beekeeping.

Oh yeh. Tip for removing attendants. Open the cage (in the car or shed)
near a closed window and let them fly against it towards the light. Pick
her up and put her back. Then open the window. Job done.

--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,