Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 08:57:18 -0600
> The locations occupied by young bees in a colony may be very limited at
> some times of year as we can observe by seeing the limited eaten out
> portion of pollen patties sitting on brood chamber top bars, even when
> clusters are large enough to include the patties.  That "young bee domain"
> may or may not be clearly defined and determined by brood amount and
> stages, but possibly other factors enter into it.

Here is another thought:  The latest Hive and the Honey Bee says on page
300:

" Wax glands are best developed and most productive in bees from 12 to 18
days old".... bees consumed 3.8 kilograms of honey during the production of
453 grams of wax.   Experiments ... proved that protein food is also of
great importance during wax production.  When young bees were fed sugar
solution only, they lost up to 20% of their body protein in 15 days of
intensive wax production. In his experiments a direct relationship was found
between the quantity of wax obtained from a colony and the amount of pollen
brought into the hive".

What does this imply?