Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:56:35 GMT+0200
Hi Wallace and All

I picked up a nice tip from an old beekeeper in y area who has had to
move hives for many decades. He is also quite soft hearted and hates
to kill bees. What he does is when he takes the bees, he always
leaves a nuc behind at the spot where the apiary was. This mops up
all the stragglers, and also, when the rest of the hives come back
the next year, it is ready to begin production. I have tried to
organise myself enough to do this, but usually forget.

For a small distance move I do the following: At the new location
point the hives in the opposite direction - smother the entrance with
sticks and grass so the bees have to walk along the ground for at
least an arms length. Leave an empty hive body at the previous
location. At night, take the bees in this body and dump them at the
entrance of the new location hives. After three days very few
returnees make anymore mistakes.

When moving hives - smoke the bees under the lid and in the entrance
twice. This will calm them. Never seal the entrance - the bees gas
themselves with carbon dioxide and raise their temperature until the
wax becomes weak.

Hope this helps.

Keep we

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)