From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:21:40 -0500
Dick Allen said:

> ...but shape also has an effect on what bees can distinguish.
> A solid circle, solid square, or a solid triangle are all seen by bees
> as the same shape. Also shapes like "X", "Y", or "IIII" are perceived
> as identical shapes by bees. At least according to what E.O. Wilson
> writes in "The Insect Societies"

That was the view over 30 years ago.  Take a look at:

http://cvs.anu.edu.au/andy/beye/gallery.html

and see for yourself if a projection of an image the way a bee
sees it (based upon the physical set-up of a bee's eye)
is possible to differentiate from another image.

I'm not saying that I am certain that bees CAN differentiate
"stars" from "circles" as I honestly do not know.  I'm just
inferring that flowers that show strong contrasting radiating
patterns under UV light did not become successful without
being highly attractive and identifiable to bees as a unique
nectar/pollen source among many.

My intent was to suggest different "flower-like"
patterns, so the complete suggestion was:

>       So, consider painting triangles, squares, circles, and stars,
>       all with radiating arms like a child's drawing of the sun, on a
>       contrasting background.  This is sure to reduce drifting, as
>       bees are accustomed to such "radiating" patterns.

                jim