From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:37:09 -0400
I have to agree there, inbreeding doesn't actually increase the number of
deleterious mutations in any case.  It just makes it more likely to have
two copies of the SAME deleterious mutation, which is why it is bad
generally speaking.  We all carry around a bunch of recessive disorders
that aren't expressed.

You could have an inbred population though, because if there is less
diversity they are more likely to have matching alleles, which can be bad
for bees because you can wind up with diploid drones (male workers and
he/she bees), but the drones would only be considered inbred as a
population, not as an individual.  At least that is my take on it.  That's
why I love bees, amazing little buggers.  They can get away with having a
huge amount of diversity, which makes them more adaptable, but weed out
many of the deleterious genes with haploid drones.
More amateur input because I have a nasty cold and don't want to do much
other than sit in front of the computer and eat soup.

Jeremy
West Michigan