From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:46:08 -0700
>I have sent the article to many researchers and the first replies back say

> outstanding research . Beyond reproach! Well done! conclusive!

Good research, but nothing new.  Bayer is well ahead on this, and has
already run trials (which I've seen) in the field in European countries.
They found that the bees tended not to forage on the corn seedlings for
water, and didn't detect appreciable bee kill in colonies placed next to
seedling fields, whether with or without water sources.

Please note that the authors of this study did not test in a field
situation.

However, the authors and you bring up some interesting points.  First, that
guttation water can pool at the base of the leaves.  Now whether bees will
take it is another question, since in a non-laboratory setting, they
apparently are repelled by the neonics in water.  A few photos by you would
be great documentation.

However, I can certainly see how in the sort of drought situation that you
describe, that bees might well take the guttation fluid out of desperation.
This would certainly account for bee kills in seedling corn (but not for the
collapses that are described when corn is tassling, as there is apparently
no guttation fluid at that time).

Another point of interest is the effect of neonics on the flight muscles.
I'm curious as to whether sublethal doses might affect thermoregulation,
which is critical for bees.

I've known about the guttation fluid issue for a while, and wondered about
bees getting exposed to neonics via sap at plant injuries.  I recently
checked a bee kill that I had at the same time that farmers were cutting
corn for silage.  I wondered if the bees were taking clothianidin-laden sap
from the cut stalks.  I had a friend check a freshly-cut field near his
beeyards--the bees weren't working the stalks at all.

I know that you consider me a naysayer, but I have no doubt that neonics can
cause problems in certain situations.  Bees in a drought with seedling corn
offering guttation fluid might well be one of those situations.  Let me ask
you something--what kind of water source was available for your bees?  I
never put bees down if there is not clean water available.  How about your
situation?

I'd also be highly suspicious of chemigation.

Bob, it is impossible for a pesticide company to test all possible
conditions prior to release of a product.  When a problem is found, then it
can be corrected by changing the label. I feel that it would be wise for you
Midwestern beekeepers to ante up some funding to get Dr Ellis or another
that you trust to run an actual field trial to demonstrate bee toxicity from
guttation fluid in the real world, as opposed to the laboratory bench.  Then
you'd have a smoking gun.

BTW, anyone can download the paper for free at
http://docserver.ingentaconnect.com/deliver/connect/esa/00220493/v102n5/s11.pdf?expires=1256015003&id=0000&titleid=10264&checksum=CCFFF3CBE3900C6CE878E34DDDCFDDDD

Randy Oliver