From:
Marcia Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 20:37:51 -0700
Greetings from Portland--
Thought I'd pass along some fun and perhaps encouraging news. Portland, as
I'm sure you ALL know is not only the Rose City and the home of mega-mildew
and banana slugs, but it is also the reknowned microbrew capital of the
continental USA. Tonight, while shopping in my nearby yuppy grocery store, I
perused the local microbrew section within the cold beer case. I was
astonished to find 8--count them EIGHT--honey beers from local breweries. To
be sure, many were made with malt syrup and were only flavored with honey,
but a number of them were made with the real McCoy! I am a home brewer
myself and have brewed a couple of batches of fine stout and ale using 1/3
honey to 2/3 malt. I was tickled to see local breweries following suit and
delighted to see an additional burgeoning market for honey. Hope it catches
on!!!!
Cheers!

P.S. My sodden swarm still hangs in the fir tree, glowing in the late
evening light. An intense downpour this afternoon failed to drown them. I've
opened a cozy bed and breakfast for them, complete with sugar syrup feeder
and a small sign that reads "Welcome Bees!" We'll see if they accept my
hospitality. Thanks to all who offered counsel. I'm  learning. I'm learning.