From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2018 21:01:34 -0400
Given the late, wet spring, I got "about half" of usual weight gains across
all colonies.
Blooms came and went, and the bees were grounded.
Had to spilt everything at least once, some twice, so "losses" of honey were
made up for by sales of splits.
Our last snow was the Monday after Easter, and April 1 is when I usually
have my hives supered.

Basswood is almost over in most of the City as of 6/24, harvest will likely
be mid-July, several weeks late.
I am an optimist, and the Great Lawn, Strawberry Fields, and all the other
open spaces in the Park have lots of clover which gets mown every few weeks,
perfect for reblooming.
Despite my optimism, I likely over-supered this year.  I'll never leave a
super "in the barn".

A very late swarm settled on a downspout on a roof where I already had 4
hives last Tuesday, so that roof now has 5.

I must point out that beekeepers complaining about the weather is exactly
like pilots complaining about gravity.

Upper East Side, Manhattan, NYC