From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 00:07:00 -0500
> Bees are unable to assess neither the nutritional
> content of pollen nor the bactericidal value of resins.

One of my favorite bee-related photo sets is a series I took at an outdoor
bar.  There was a soda dispenser there, hold a glass under a labeled spout,
push the glass against the metal arm, and out comes the soda.   The bees
would land on the spouts, climb inside, and get drops of soda left on the
inner surface of the spout, so the waitstaff would have to tap on the
spouts, wait a moment for the bee(s) to depart, and then use the dispensers,
or risk getting a bee in the glasses they were about to serve a customer.

From my vantage point at the bar I could see that the bees liked Mountain
Dew better than Pepsi, but the amazing thing was that a significant number
of bees were visiting the DIET Pepsi spout.  So, what we think we know about
bees in regard to their ability to taste and reliably detect sugar content
is pretty easy to debunk (or at least muddy up a bit) with nothing more than
a "Pepsi Challenge".

Sorry, I have no data on Diet Coke, Coke Zero, or Diet Dr. Pepper.