From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:06:05 -0600
>       I would like to know when a professional beekeeper would consider a
>super empty of bees.  The supers I take off often still have a good many
>bees
>in them.>>>>>

I use Honey robber (butyric anhydride, I believe).  We use a blower if we
are too fast or some bees simply refuse to leave.  When using the blower, or
if the bees are robbing they are back into the supers quickly.  I use this
as a measure of 'empty'.  As we never get rid of all of the bees with the
blower - if fumes leave no more than a blower does then the box is 'empty'.

I try to leave the supers in the hot room at least 24 hours before
extracting.  We have a window and a 24 hour light over the window.  24 hours
is enough to get rid of almost all of the bees in the supers and we can
collect them from the window at our convenience.

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0
Ph/fax (403) 998 3143