From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 23:28:10 -0700
Rich,
There are two very distinct questions embedded in your note.  I've over-simplified the questions I suppose, but here they are with my comments:

    1. Can you keep bees in such a situation as yours, and if so how?
        By all means!  There are FAR more injuries and fatalities per backyard
        swimming pool than there are per backyard bee hive!  I kept 2 hives in my
        yard in the middle of Seattle with pets and 3 young children for 6 years.
        There were a few stings from stepping on  bees in the grass, but never an
        attack.  Dogs generally stay away from the bees after 1 or 2 stings.
        The keys are to keep gentle queen stock from a reputable breeder, be gentle,
        pay attention to details, and use your common sense when working the
        bees, and locate them in such a way that the hive entrance is not in a place
        where the kids play.  If you have a separately fenced area that you can lock,
        that would work well (for bees or for swimming pools).

    2. What about allergies and extreme reactions?
        Many, many people have local swelling reactions to bees.
        Many many people think swelling is a precursor to a dangerous reaction
        and that they are in grave danger if they get stung.
        This is not true.  1 in 10,000 people is dangerously allergic to bees. Some of
        these people never swell when stung, and most people who swell never have
        a dangerous reaction.  If you are worried about it, find an allergist to talk to.
        You might get him to perscribe an "EpiPen" for you to keep on hand for
        emergencies.  You can also keep non-perscription antihystamines on hand
        for minor reactions.  And BTW, from several recent posts, it appears that for
        some people, Ibuprofen may cause a bee sting reaction to be stronger and
        possibly more dangerous than it would be otherwise.
        If someone does have a reaction involving something other than local pain
        and swelling, such as a generalized rash, irregular or high pulse rate, or
        difficulty breathing, get to the hospital fast and maybe start thinking about a
        more remote location for your bees while the victim gets allergy shots for a
        couple of years.
        The probability of a severe reaction is pretty low.  There are a few
        participants on this list who have dealt with severe reactions and made the
        necessary adjustments to keep on going.
        The main thing is to use your common sense and keep an even temperament
        as you work out the details of your setup and circumstances.

Michael