From:
John Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:04:21 GMT
On Mon, 9 Sep 1996 07:07:36 -0700, you wrote:

>>Also, what tricks do you use to remove ticks once the have you to be their
>>new home?

>The same thing we use to get rid of chiggers works well for getting rid of
>ticks: plain old Vicks Salve or Mentholatum Rub. Just dab it on the ticks
>and they can't breath, so they let go. Camphor also works well by itself.

As a fellow beekeeper and an emergency room nurse I just have to jump
in with my two cents worth when tick removal is talked about.  There
are ways to remove ticks and ways not to remove ticks.  Generally,
anything that is traumatic to the tick should be advoided.  The
reasoning behind this is as follows.

Ticks are the vectors of many diseases.  Their bites may result in
envenomation secondary to salivary sectretions injected as the tick
withdraws blood from an insertion point.  Some of the illnesses that
can be caused are Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and tick
paralysis (these are the common tick-borne diseases for Missouri and
may vary in your area).  Most of the viruses causing these illnesses
are harbored in the stomach of the tick.  When a tick is 'traumatized'
it has a tendency to regurgitate it's gastric contents as it beats a
retreat.  Regurgitation into the wound in the host greatly increases
the possibility of transmitting illness.

Therefore, treatment of any tick bite generally follows this
guideline:

1. Remove the tick using the following method. NOTE: Using a hot match
or products to "suffocate" the tick are ineffective and may cause more
injury.
Immersion of the body part in very warm water (CAUTION: Make certain
that water is not of a temperature that will burn human skin) will
sometimes cause the tick to back out.
Do no handle the tick with bare hands, use a blunt forceps or tweezer.
Grasp the tick as close to the skin surface as possible and pull
upward with steady, even pressure.
Do not squeeze, crush or puncture the body of the tick (I presume this
means 'while attached')
After removing the tick, wash the area with soap and water and cleanse
with isopropyl alcohol.
If head or mouth parts are left behind they may need to be surgically
removed.
Note the date of attachment and save the tick in the event further
reference is necessary.

The remainder of the treatment guideline is essentially for medical
personnel and includes updating tetanus status, treating any resulting
medical symptoms, etc.

If anyone is interested in chiggers and treatment, I can get that
information and post it also.

-- John Taylor --
Wild Rose Creek Apiary
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!