From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:32:11 -0500
Matthew shared with us his father's allergic reaction and the beneficial
results of an Epipen.

I long ago stopped having any reaction (other than hurt) from bee stings.
Even on those sad and few occasions when I get more than 10 stings in a
single area.  Nonetheless, my wife worried about my spending so much time
alone at reasonably remote bee yards, and hassled me about keeping an Epipen
in the truck...just in case.

During a regular checkup, I asked my physician for a prescription for one.
He was aghast at the suggestion, and refused.  He knows full well I am a
beekeeper and don't suffer allergic reactions.  He explained that Epipens
are grossly overused and are especially not considered appropriate
treatment:
* for anyone over 45
* for anyone with heart disease (I have had a heart attack)

While I don't recall his exact words, the contraindication has something to
do with the Epipen increasing strain on the heart.  Anyone able to shed more
light on whether caution should be exercised in using Epipens?

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com