From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:44:40 -0400
>I'm enjoying this discussion, particularly the comments re. honey heating.
>
>In 1991 I surveyed the existing standards for organic honey (IFOAM,
>BioGro, Demeter), and the honey heating limits left a lot to be desired.  In
>particular, the Demeter standard said that you couldn't heat the honey
>above 30degC during extraction and processing, which was more than a
>bit ironic since brood nest temperature is 34degC.
>
>The final problem I identified in relation to honey heating for all of the
>standards related to retail liquid honey.  For all honeys except those with
>a high levulose content, I felt it would be difficult to maintain a decent
>shelf-life unless the honey was flash-heated above the limits set in the
>standards.
>
>I haven't looked at these standards recently, so I don't know what
>changes if any have been made regarding heating.  I also understand
>that there are American and European standards not directly related to
>the Demeter or BioGro standards.  Does anyone know what limits those
>standards place on honey heating?

Hi Cliff,

        The International recognised process, is to only heat the honey to
60 degrees centigrade. This is to prevent the honey changing from one class
to another.

        These standards are only recommendations for the packers to use and
a guide for the industry. Therefore to return the most money for your honey,
a lack of temperature control is costing you money, and your good name as a
good supplier of quality honey.
Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia