From:
Dann Purvis II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:59:52 -0400
Great reply, Bob.

We used powdered sugar on our packages this spring and so far have seen very
low mite load on those particular bees (mating nucs).  Have thought, maybe a
package dunking in Sucricide coupled with a powdering would virtually
eliminate all mites from packages.  It might not even be necessary to do
both.  Sugar would probably be best to do first then Sucricide.  I have a
prototype sugar powdering chamber that I am planning on experimenting with
next year.  It has to be simple, easy, cost effective, and not destructive.
Sugar/Sucricide treated" packages coupled with conducive mite genetics,
survivor bee genetics (yes, you can select for survival-think Darwin) and
clean comb IS a winning combination.

Dann