From:
Rick Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 1994 16:59:15 +0000
Well, here it is.... the long awaited BEE-L FAQ (second edition)!
I have taken the Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) list
from the sci.agriculture.beekeeping newsgroup, and
added a few BEE-L specific items to the front. Unless I
get significant input requesting otherwise, I will update
and repost this FAQ roughly once a month. Your
help is needed to improve this FAQ! Please submit your
comments, and contributions to this FAQ to
Rick Hough ([log in to unmask]), or Adam
Finkelstein ([log in to unmask]).
Also - would someone on BITNET take a look at
the address information I have provided, and let me know
if my syntax is incorrect?? I don't have BITNET access,
and so am not 100% sure I've got it right. Thanks

Sincerely,
Rick Hough

PS - I won't be answering my e-mail next week - I'll be at
EAS Short Course & Conference in Pennasylvania. See you there??

* * * * * * BEE-L FAQ * * * * * *
updated July 8, 1994 (no changes in this section as compared to 5/25/94
edition)

What is BEE-L?
BEE-L is a computerized e-mail list. All e-mail sent to the BEE-L
address is duplicated and mailed to all the current subscribers on the
list. The listserver (the computer that runs the list) maintains a log
(archive) of all messages, and list members may request a copy of
the log. The archive has a separate file for each month, and these
files are currently saved for about a year. To access the listserve
computer itself (i.e. to subscribe to or unsubscribe from BEE-L, to
request a log file, etc.), send e-mail to the listserver address. Don't
send control messages to the BEE-L address, because the message
will just be sent to everyone on the list, and the computer will not do
what you wanted it to do. Note that most control messages contain
the list name (BEE-L) somewhere in the command, as the listserve
computer generally runs many lists at any given time.

How do I post a message to BEE-L?
If you are on the Internet, send an e-mail message to bee-
[log in to unmask] If you are on BitNet, address your e-mail to
[log in to unmask]  Any message received at these addresses
will be duplicated and mailed to everyone currently subscribed to
the BEE-L list.

How do I subscribe to, or unsubscribe from BEE-L?
Send mail to the listserve computer (from the Internet the address is
[log in to unmask]  from BitNet, the address is
[log in to unmask]  To SUBSCRIBE, the body of your message
must contain the line:
SUBSCRIBE BEE-L <your full name>
You may abbreviate SUBSCRIBE with SUB. Be sure to substitute your
real name for the <your full name> placeholder. You do not need
quotes or any other delimiters surrounding your name. The listserve
computer will determine your address from the "From:" header in
your message. To UNSUBSCRIBE, the body of your message must
contain the line:
SIGNOFF BEE-L
You may substitute either UNSUBSCRIBE or UNSUB for the SIGNOFF in
this command to remove your subscription to the list If your address
has changed since you subscribed, this command will fail - write to
YOUR local POSTMAST/POSTMASTER/POSTMSTR id for assistance.  If
that fails, then write to OWNER-BEE-L     @<listnode> for assistance.
If that fails, then write
POSTMAST/POSTMASTER/POSTMSTR@<listnode> (<listnode> =
ALBANY.BITNET if you are on BitNet. <listnode> = uacsc2.albany.edu
if you are on Internet). To avoid this problem, UNSUBSCRIBE from
BEE-L before you move to a new e-mail address, and then
resubscribe from your new address.

How do I get help using the listserver?
Send a message to the listserver, with the one word HELP in the body
of the message.  Address the message to [log in to unmask] if you
are on BitNet, or address it to [log in to unmask] if you are
on the Internet. The listserver will mail a help document back to you.
Sending the message INFO ? will cause the listserver to mail you a
list of additional help documents that are available. These additional
documents are requested by sending the message INFO <topic> (be
sure to substitute the desired document name for <topic>)

                 sci.agriculture.beekeeping FAQ

July 6, 1994

 This is the second FAQ for sci.agriculture.beekeeping. A FAQ file is
dynamic, and changes as information is added and deleted, hopefully
to be
archived for reference. If you think something is missing, or need
something that is not here, then by all means ask, suggest, demand
but do
not be shy! This file is for all beekeepers.

 POINTERS TO APICULTURAL INFORMATION ON INTERNET

 sci.agriculture.beekeeping   USENET newsgroup
 [log in to unmask]  Listserv List

 Beekeeping Home Page (world wide web)
   http://alfred1.u.washinton.edu.8080/~jlks/bee.html

thanks to Jordan L.K. Schwartz,  [log in to unmask], for this
great beekeeper
information tool!

Entomology World Wide-Web Server at Colorado State University
    http:// www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/ent.html

Entomology World Wide-Web Server at Iowa State University
    http:// www.public.iastate.edu/~entomology/

 sun1.oardc.ohio-state.edu  Anonymous ftp
 sun1.oardc.ohio-state.edu  Gopher
 (comments on the above to [log in to unmask])

   crl.com      Anonymous ftp
                password <your e-mail address>
                /users/ro/robbee/BEE>

         +%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%
         %   [log in to unmask]   box 721 healdsburg ca 95448   %
         +%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%+%

    sunsite.unc.edu  Anonymous ftp, gopher, telnet
   /pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/beekeeping
/pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/beekeeping/newsletters/apis

    ftp.ucdavis.edu    Anonymous ftp
     /pub/extension/4h-youth/bee-keeping

 Questions about accessing these sources may be answered locally or
by
reading news.answers,news.announce.newusers or by writing me,
and I'll try
to point you in the best direction.([log in to unmask])
 Please don't be afraid to ask!

Beekeeping FAQ's (frequently asked questions)
 Via email.
                       How to use:
Email to   [log in to unmask]
 on subject line put the name of FAQ   :  HONEY ADULTERATION

  FAQ                                           Last update    5-12-94
  name                                                * NEW or UPDATED
_________
HINT.IND        THIS INDEX                                           *
usda-bee.lab    Address & Info on Sending Dead bee samples (1992)
*
formic.txt      Warning on use of Formic Acid by beekeepers (1992)
*
propolis        Jerry Bronenshenk on PROPOLIS (1994)                 *
4-H.txt         4-H joins the Internet (1993)                        *
FSHEET11        INFORMATION US BEEKEEPING (ARS 1992)
HINT.101        SOURCES OF BEEKEEPING INFORMATION
HINT.102        HONEY AND ITS USES
HINT.103        HONEY ADULTERATION
HINT.104        FLORIDA BEE INSPECTION
HINT.105        FLORIDA BEARS AND BEEKEEPING
HINT.106        HONEY HOUSE SANITATION
HINT.107        FLORIDA HONEY LABELING REGULATIONS
HINT.108        PRODUCING SECTION (COMB) HONEY
HINT.109        EXHIBITING HONEY
HINT.110        SAMPLE POLLINATION AGREEMENT
HINT.111        SOLAR BEESWAX RENDERING AND HINTS FOR
EXHIBITING WAX BLOCKS
HINT.112        EXTENSION APICULTURAL VISUAL AIDS
HINT.113        USING HONEY IN LARGE-QUANTITY RECIPES
HINT.115        GOOD NEIGHBOR GUIDELINES AND ORDINANCES
HINT.116        CHALKBROOD RECOMMENDATIONS
HINT.117        HONEY MARKETING SURVEY
HINT.118        PRODUCING POLLEN
HINT.119        FINANCIAL MANGEMENT FOR BEEKEEPERS
HINT.120        UPWARD VENTILATION
HINT.121        WAX MOTH CONTROL
HINT.122        BEE STINGS AND REACTIONS
HINT.123        EXTENSION APICULTURE IN FLORIDA
HINT.124        FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AND RATIOS FOR
BEEKEEPING OPERATIONS
HINT.125        PRESERVING WOODENWARE IN BEEKEEPING
OPERATIONS
HINT.126        THE VALUE OF POLLINATION BY HONEY BEES
HINT.127        THE VARROA BEE MITE
HINT.128        INFANT BOTULISM AND HONEY
HINT.129        HONEY JUDGING AND STANDARDS
HINT.130        USING THE HONEY REFRACTOMETER
HINT.131        OBSERVATION BEE HIVES

All Hints courtesy of Malcolm T. Sanford, Cooperative Extension
Service

 Thanks to Andy Nachbaur ([log in to unmask]) for putting
this
together. Andy coordinates wildbees bbs, disseminating beekeeping
information worldwide. I've heard he has a few colonies of bees too...

 Honey Hotline                          NHB Food Technology Program
  1 -800-356-5941                     P.O. Box 281525
  415-340-3568  (FAX)              San Franscisco, CA 94128-1525 USA

 The American Apitherapy Society, Inc.
 P.O. Box 124, Woodsville, NH 03785
  603-747-2507 (V,F)

 [log in to unmask]    mead mailing list

Honey Concord Wine: Award -Winning Mead--Made Easy by Elaine C.
White
Valley Hills Press
1864 Ridgeland Drive
Starkville. MS 39759 USA
601-323-7100

 The Mead Association
 P.O. Box 4666
 Grand Junction, CO 81502
 1-800-693-MEAD
 outside US 303-442-9111

For a good list of Books on MEAD  mail:  [log in to unmask]
ask for book list.

Printed Beekeeping Reference Source

For an extensive list of Australian beekeeping references e:mail
[log in to unmask] (Thanks Adrian)

For an extensive list of British beekeeping references e:mail
[log in to unmask] (Thanks Malcom)

If anyone would like to "keep" a list of beekeeping references,
making it available to other beekeepers on the internet,
send us your e:mail address and ideas. This will save space on the
FAQ.

Dr. Rick Fell, Apiculture professor and researcher,
is available for questions,  comments and queries.
e:mail          [log in to unmask]

 The following list of FAQ was compiled by Rick Hough
 Thank you Rick for a fine job.

  Now, need your input for the answers.

  Why did my beehive die?
  What is the difference between Honey Bees and other stinging
insects?
  How do I recognize a honey bee?
  Why do Bees Sting?
  What Should I do if there are bees flying all around me?
  What is the best treatment for a bee sting?
  What about allergic reactions?
  Is it true that all bees/honeybees will more likely attack things that
  are tall/dark/furry-hairy/smelly (what kind of smells?) ?
  What is Apitherapy?
  What is an African Bee, and how do I recognize it?
  Why are African Bees called "Killer Bees?"
  Are African Bees really dangerous?
  Do I have to worry about African Bees? (will African Bees be
moving into
  my neighborhood?)
  How far north will the "killer Bees" get, and when?
  Bibliography of children's books on bees.
  Bibliography of beekeeping texts.
  Bibliography of biology (habitat, parasites, etc.)
  Protective gear.
  Finding Queens.
  Regulatory and research people and their addresses.
  AHB Progress and news.
  What is the National Honey Board?
  How do I find a local beekeeper?
  What is a swarm -are they dangerous
  Are their different races of honeybees? What are they and how do
they
  differ?
  Supering.
  Pollen Production.
  Honey Production.
  Queen Rearing.
  Social Order.
  Lore.
  Bee Deterrent?
  Swarm removal?
    Mail or post your input so we may have some FAQs to FAQ for the
next
    FAQ file.

 Adam Finkelstein   [log in to unmask]

=========