From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:08:10 -0700
Hi Peter,
Flat out here, too!

>Surely something was done to deal with the dinks situation...all the other
> hives were moved away removing the competition pressure!

Good point--many of us are finding that simply by cutting the number of
colonies per yard in half makes lots of problems go away.  Therefore, I
always select breeders in crowded yards.

Allen said:  Another point is that exotic crosses may be very unstable or
even non-viable, and that the first crosses may look nothing ike the second.

Excellent point, Allen.  No telling how the F1 Frankenbees are going to turn
out, and even less whether the F2's will reflect their characteristics.
I've moved away from this sort of breeding strategy.

Randy Oliver