From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:52:29 -0800
I'm in agreement with Mike, although my winters are neither as long
nor as harsh as his.  My target is to have very strong colonies by
Valentine's Day for the almonds.

This is best done the same way as Mike prepares for the Vermont winter
(I've been with him when he was doing).  Only winter strong colonies
with plenty of honey above, forcing the broodnest down into the lower
boxes.

The only time that I have trouble with bees not moving up (again, my
winters cold, but short) is when there's a full box of honey in white
combs above the cluster.  As long as there is any dark, empty drawn
comb for the cluster to move up into, they have no problem getting
past the gap.

Randy Oliver