From:
William G Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 09:12:08 -0500
As an undergraduate I spent a summer at a well known university bee
lab as a summer intern.  After about a week it was announced that
that night was the night that we had to move an infected (AFB)
apiary, three hives at a time in the back of an army surplus jeep.
I was recruited as labor and off we went.  Naturally no one at this
place wore gloves (shudder the thought, you took your stings like
a man and never complained).  Well, I got about 60 stings that
night and passed the test, but I can tell you it was not a pleasant
experience.

I have been stung more since, including by African bees in Africa,
but I have never been ashamed to wear a good pair of gloves.  My
philosophy is to advise beginners to wear gloves until they develop
enough confidence to shed them, as well as enough knowledge to know
that there is a time and a place to put them on.  Beekeeping should
not be a macho, masochistic experience, but sometimes it is heavy,
dangerous work that is aided by a good pair of gloves.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC
--
William G Lord