From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:31:30 -0800
Thanks to all for the support on and off list!

Edward wrote >

> As a budding researcher so many years ago I discovered quite by accident
> how easy it is to draw the wrong conclusion by injecting my own bias into
> a study.

So easy to be misled by "confirmation bias."

Allow me to give an example.

I ask you to determine the what is the pattern that I'm using to create this
series of numbers: 2, 4, 6.

So you say, Would 6, 8, 10 fit the pattern?  I'd answer, Yes.

You say, How about 12, 14, 16?  Yes.

16, 18, 20? Yes

22, 24, 26? Yes

Do you all see the pattern?

You say, the pattern is clearly "Three consecutive even numbers."    Wrong!

The pattern was any three numbers in ascending order.

3,4,5 would have fit the pattern.

You just never tested anything outside of your preconceived pattern!

As Jerry said, a scientist tries to disprove his hypothesis, not simply look
for support.

Randy Oliver