From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 07:30:30 -0400
Sounds like a sales gimmick to get Russian gardeners to purchase packages of bees that are not sustainable.

I also worry about any reference to something like this were we see comments like this:

"The queen bee should live in a special bee farm, where, under the professional guidance, it will lay eggs and nurse little bees."

This shows ignorance in how bees reach adulthood and the role of the queen within the colony which in turn question Mr. Kulinich.

In my limited experience I have found that bees with no queen tend to develop laying workers AND/OR seem to after a couple weeks seem much less productive as there is less and less direction within the colony as the population dwindles.

The economic return assuming you were selling for 8.00 USD a pound (the standard price these days for most urban Farmer's Markets) would be excellent assuming that every 15.00 USD box would produce 20Kg.  For me that would be a gross 352.00 USD per package.  Which would mean that I am getting almost 23.5 times the value of the money I originally invested

Sounds too good to be true.

It is also a classic example of be-having rather than bee-keeping.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855