From:
Peter Kevan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1992 17:49:58 EST
Dr. Steve Ray, at Wolverhampton Polytech has used the protein extracts from
adult bees to inject into the brains of larvae. The interesting thing
is that the larvae, when emerging as adults, seem to have some memory
information from the brain-protein donor bee. It seems that bees without
the transplant were unable to find their way home from being placed away from
their hive, but bees with the transplants could.
      Perhaps someone in the UK could ask Dr. Ray to send us more inform-
ation on this fascinating discovery. I found out about it from The Times
(18 Feb, 1992). The article puts me in mind of the Worm Runners Digest
of some years ago, when Planaria were supposed to be able to ingest
memory with their food and a magazine sprung up on the subject. What
ever became of that research?
     I suppose the proposed treatments for Alzheimers and some other neural/
brain disorders with extracts from healthy brains isn't far removed from
the above, conceptually, but chemically it must be rather different.