Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 18:58:01 -0500
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  writes:

Is  there no crop rotation? How do they avoid build up of pests and
diseases
and exhaustion of nutrients?  More and more chemicals I suppose. How  do
bees get any propolis?

As an old farmer whose father pioneered field corn in the Yellowstone
valley of MT, I was shocked by what I saw in the corn belt last  summer.  I
expected to see crop rotation, corn interspersed with legumes,  etc.  What I
saw, especially in Illinois, corn field on top of corn  field.  There were some
small areas of pasture - usually few acres where  irregular shape of the
field would make it difficult to maneuver row crop  machinery.  Once in a
while a soybean field.  Otherwise, if it was  farmable, it was planted to corn.

I was also disturbed to see all those beautiful, old, 2 story, barns caving
 in due to neglect.  They'd let the roofs go, then the rot set in.
However, there were lots of shiny metal silos.  Even without livestock, I'd  think
that barns would be useful for storage, shops, etc.  But they are  just
falling over.

Jerry