From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:38:49 -0600
>    For a long time it was thought that the american pleigh of bee's brood (I
> don't know if this is the right expression in English) could not be treated.

Hello Marko,

I think you mean American Foulbrood, sometimes called American Foul Brood, and
also referred to as AFB.

> All of the infected hives were destroyed to prevent this danerous disease from
> spreading. A rumour has reached me recently that there is a way to deal with
> this disease without destroying the hives. Is there some way to treat this
> disease and fight the infection? If there is, what should be done?

We have discussed this for a long time on this list and there are many excellent
articles in our logs expressing several different points of view.  Some people
say burn or melt, others say treat with oxytetracycline, and others say breed
bees that can stand AFB.

Others yet say use a combination of all three techniques to master the disease.

I suggest you search our archives at
http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html using 'American
Foulbrood','American Foul Brood',and 'AFB' as keys and ask if you need more
information.

Regards,

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.