From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:10:19 -0500

"And I would add I do better with these than the Sundance traps.  Bees never
seem to adjust."

I do have a Sundance with side drawer that I bought a couple of years ago
but had never used. I got the Brushy Mtn one as part of a BIP study where I
have to collect a sample every two weeks. After having so much trouble the
first couple of collections, I decided to replace it with the Sundance, but
in a couple of days they collected virtually no pollen. Then I read on
Beesource that the Sundance has to be on a hive that's separated from others
by at least a few feet, or the frustrated pollen forages will just take
their payloads into more hospitable hives. Since I couldn't switch hives
during the study, I put the Brushy Mtn trap back on.

"I will tell you bees get used to them and quit getting stuck."

So if I collect on a regular basis instead of twice a month, they'll get
used to it? I still think they're squeezing purposely into the basket to try
to recover the pollen, so I don't understand how this will help.

Eugene