From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2018 07:53:06 -0400

> The 8 colonies in the Arnot Forest that yielded a clear result exhibited
> an even distribution of the C1 (ligustica ) and C2 (carnica ) haplotypes
> (50 % C1 and 50 % C2); however, the 10 colonies in both apiary 1 and apiary
> 2 exhibited mainly the C2 (carnica ) haplotype (90 and 80 % C2,
> respectively).
>
> The feral bees were a mixture of italian and carniolan at about 50/50 and
> the apiary bees were mostly carniolan, despite being purchased from a
> vendor of "Golden Italians." The only logical explanation is that the two
> lines have been blended over the century or more that they have been bred
> in this country, and separated out by color.

I'm not sure I would be able to draw that as the only logical explanation.

You keep focusing on color alone, but I'm not certain that's all that was
the only trait selected for. With 10% being ligustica, and 90% being
carnica, what 10% was ligustica? Was color, spring build up, and disease
resistance the 10%, while the 90% was gentleness, foraging ability,
overwintering ability, brood shutdown, or all the other qualities that
obviously have importance to the bees but aren't selected for as beneficial
to beekeepers? If so, only 10% of the colony is ligustica, but it's the 10%
that beekeepers care about.

When a queen is sold in the US and is labeled as "Italian", we don't expect
it to genetically test as >51% ligustica, we expect it to act like an
Italian (or what we expect). If it is sold as a "Golden Italian" we expect
it to be golden in color and act like an Italian. I don't think anyone
expects it not to be a genetic mix.