From:
Carl Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 09:20:35 -0500
>>Last year I used Apistan in my hives in the fall for 30 days to treat
>>for varroa.  However, in the spring I had problems with weak hives and
>>I noticed that several of the weaker hives had serious varroa infesta-
>>tions.  I used Apistan this past fall for 40 days and my question to the
>>list is, how many beekeepers use Apistan again in the spring?  I would
>>like to avoid as much as possible using medications in my hives, but it
>>would be nice to have a crop this year as well.  I am in Northern
>>Illinois so I would consider applying the Apistan in April.  Thanks.
>>Matt Ter Molen.  [log in to unmask]

Last spring I didn't use any strips and lost several hives.  This year I
have used them and I have a very good build up going. I will remove the
strips this week in anticipation of the citrus bloom which is just starting.

I have buckfast and italian bees.  One hive of italians has shown restiance
to varroa.  It was weak last year and when I placed srtips in the hive the
build up was very quick.
*** I think, therefore I am politically incorrect!! ***