From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:45:43 +0000
Debbie Hutchings wrote:

> What I'm saying about conventional treatments is that I would still
> continue using apistan and formic acid, spring and fall.

Debbie -

This seems like big time overkill to me. If you are going to go to the effort of trapping the
varroa with drone comb (which will be far more labor intensive than putting two strips of
Apistan in), why would you want to also treat with Apistan and on top of that twice a
year? Our goal should be to use any chemical only as much that is needed to do the job. I
would suggest you approach it as Adony mentioned " With before and after sticky board
counts (or at least after) on hand you can go back and retreat or clean up the mess with
Apistan if the experimental treatment does not pan out" and only use the Apistan if it
deems necessary.

Jan also has info about Apistan on the same page that would be worth reading. I hope
you do in fact try the drone comb method and report back on how it worked for you.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA