From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:03:28 -0500
Dot Rawnsley wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with their bees creating a nuisance in
> vineyards when the grapes are ripe and being picked?  Is there any way
> to lessen the problem apart from moving the bees?  They sting the
> pickers and congregate in the bins of sweet crushed grapes.
> Ben
> New Zealand

Dot,
        If they are giving that much trouble at that time, there is nothing
blooming providing nectar. They are after the sweet juice in the broken
grapes. Congratulations on the high sugar content. Can I have some? I
love the big juicy winery grapes.
        The way to keep them from the grapes is to provide them something more
attractive at that time. There are 2 ways to do this, provide them with
a suitable plant, or provide them with a substitute.
        Plant a crop around the edges of the field that provide nectar when you
are at harvest.

        Provide a feeding station(s) that is more attractive than the grapes.
55 gallon barrels or trash cans of a higher concentrate sugar water will
attract them, especially if it is primed so it smells a bit like honey.
Remember to keep them away from the hives so as to keep the robbing
down.

Thom Bradley
Chesapeake, VA
http://groups.hamptonroads.com/beekeepers