From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:33:11 -0500
Garth Said:

Firstly Jerry mentioned that it is unusual to find people working on
their own in the scientific community, and that it is almost
impossible to work without the a large research group to help out.

Whoops! Something wrong here.  Some of us work alone, others work in teams.
 With increasing complexity of subjects, we often have to tap the expertise
of others.  Also, comparative studies add a lot to credability.  But none
of us work without critical review from our peers.  "Show me the data" is
the axiom.

Nor did I say it is almost impossible to work with a large research group
to help out.  You missed the point.

However, as Bruce King pointed out, a group effort (and a group of
beekeepers is great) can go a long way to producing the "numbers" needed to
thoroughly examine an issue.

As many members of Bee-L know, we pioneered research projects using Task
Forces of Beekeepers (started in Seattle area, extended across much of NW,
now working on east coast in much the same manner.

BUT, WE WILL ALWAYS INSISTS ON CAREFUL DESIGN, FOLLOWING THE PROTOCOLS, AND
QUALITY ASSURANCE CHECKS ON THE DATA, AS WELL AS TIMELY PUBLICATION OF
RESULTS.

Also, as far as the "Physical Trap" work-around suggested by our Lawyer
friend - read the regulations.  EPA and FDA are concerned about foreign
chemicals in beehives.  The regs are not based on mode of action nor even
whether you consider it a poison.  Simply the presence of something that
would not normally be found in the hive - you have to prove that it is not
harmful.

Cheers