From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:45:41 -0600
> we use an "A" to represent an upside-down "Y", so we can have:
>
> Frame Number                1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
>                            -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> A "perfect YA Housel"      YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA
> A "perfect AY Housel"      AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY
>
> "AY", Error In Frame 2     AY YA AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY
> "YA", Error In Frame 3     YA YA AY YA YA YA YA YA YA YA
>
> An "AY YA" Anti-Housel     AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA
> A "YA AY" Anti-Housel      YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY

I've been studying this, but can't reconcile the above with the original
29/09/2002 BEE-L post which said (condensed, snipped and re-arranged for
clarity):

-- begin quote --

What you are looking at in wild combs hanging is:

YI^,YI^,YI^,YI^,^I^,^IY,^IY,^IY,^IY

...what you are looking at in broodboxes/supers... is:

YI^,YI^,YI^,YI^,YI^,^IY,^IY,^IY,^IY,^IY

--end quote ---

Note the special centre comb in the wild hive.  In both cases, according to
the original writer (and unless I misunderstand the notation) the combs are
shown to *mirror* one another on either side of centre -- in both the wild
and in the 'ideal' man-made setup -- not all be arranged in the same
direction.

Further the original author wrote:

>This changes by either being right or left of an imaginary
>center line in domesticated hives. In the wild there is one
>special center comb hanging down from a limb. In our
>man-made hives which we call colonies this does not occur,
>and so an imaginary line must be drawn and used, for
positioning right or left of center, and up or down, of the
>"Y" formation.

and