From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 08:41:14 -0400
We've had a very mild spring here and while Black Locust JUST started to bloom, dandelion and other forages have been abundant with long cycles of dry warm air followed by a day or two of rain.  All our colonies on double deeps with a winter medium were packed full again and we've been throwing on two to three supers per colony for black locust/spring honey.

We've also been seeing our first swarms too and heavy activity in walls of homes as the heat and number of bees increases.

Because of the warm spring we have seen a more spotty bloom of black locust rather than the waves of blooms we see move from the river valley sounth of Cincinnati and then north to Dayton.  Everything is blooming in bunches here and there all over the region.

I'm not too sure how that will effect forage.  We'll see.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855