From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:55:54 -0500
On 25 Jan 98 at 17:19, Robert Watson wrote:

> In my limited experience [three years] I have seen that the bees
> will ignore the syrup if it is too thin.  1 to 1 by volume seems to
> work , but more water than that and it just sits there and gets
> moldy.

I picked up some information off this list some time ago regarding
mould in sugar syrup. We feed extensively even in the summer and were
troubled by mould and fermentation, but now add 1 tablespoon per
gallon of apple cider vinegar when making up syrup.
        No more problems!!!!.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171