From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:50:57 -0500

> Peach trees require over 600 hours a winter at below 48 degree F
> temperature to produce peaches.  I am wondering if Tulip Poplars
> also  require a
> similar condition to produce nectar.  It would be interesting to  go
> back and
> see what the winter average temperatures are and what the Tulip
> Poplar honey
> yields are in the spring.
>
> David MacFawn.
>

> David,
If global warming/climate change continues then you might not be able
to grow peaches where you are.
How many hours do you have now and how many hours did you have in the
past?  I have been watching tulip poplar for over 15 years.
The reason it takes so long is because you have to first realize that
you are not getting tulip poplar honey.  It is a darker honey with a
good flavor so you know when you are getting only amber or light honey
there is no tulip poplar honey.  Then you rule out all the causes that
the bees may not have been able to work the trees: wind, rain, cold,
ground moisture, time of day, etc.  Every year I thought well maybe
next year I will get tulip poplar honey, just as the farmer says next
year will be better.  Since becoming interested in watching the
poplars I have now watched very closely the black locust and the holly
trees.  They are not producing any nectar either, but it has not been
as long as tulip poplar.

Bill B