From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:44:14 -0500

I made two nucs with swarm cells this spring. I have done this before with reasonable
success.  I separated the nucs from the parent colony by 15-20 feet.  This year two
strikes -  When I checked back, there was no queen and no queen cell in either.  I
don't know why they did not raise a queen.  I have now given one of the colonies
another queen cell and the other a frame with eggs from which to raise an emergency
queen.  I am about to check to see if they are queen right.  Just when we think we
know what we are doing, the bees fool us.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA