From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 1996 02:26:00 GMT
DVI>Jerry Fries wrote:
   >> Chris you are right about this being a bee list ,but some one so desperat
   >> for information they would ask a beekeeperabout birds might be in need of
   >> neighborly point in the right direction.
   >> Best wishes  Jerry Fries

DVI>I agree. Who better to ask? There are aver 600 addressees on this net
   >and some seem to know a lot more than bees. I would have gladely
   >responded with an answer if I had had a good one.

DVI>Beeing a friend

Birds & Bees, a natural!

What has interested me for a lifetime among the bees is the beekeepers
themselves and I have found they come in all flavors, with all kinds of
vocations and ad vocations other then keeping bees including the
beekeepers of the commercial size with thousands of hives. Farmers,
doctors, lawyers, politicians, both local and national and on and on.

One of my long time friends who also happens to bee one of the larger
producers of honey with bees in Texas, California, Nebraska, the
Dakotas, and other places,,, collects windmills. Yep, the real thing you
all have seen down on the farm or in pictures and paintings. He restores
them to working, like new conditions and installs them on his home place
or farm. He has 100, yep 100, mostly all different and he knows as much
about windmills as anyone in North America.

Rearing birds also seems to be a common hobby among beekeepers and I
have worked with beekeepers who reared many kind of game birds
commercially, and the game dogs that go with them. Hatching chicks by
the 10's of thousands each year. And yes we also had a beekeeper here
locally who did the same with exotic birds that were non game.

It does not surprise me any more when I meet a beekeeper with interests
other then bees, but I do find that many time these interests are in the
biological sciences more often then not, rearing deer, dancing bears, or
like my own hobbies which includes foot long gold fish and dozens of
different native fresh water turtles, and native land turtles.

I suspect that many generations ago when beekeepers lost their high
position in society to manufactured sugars and oils for light other then
beeswax we became almost a society of outcasts and wanders, doing what
ever we could to bond with nature. I don't know how you or I got these
bad genes that I call the bee gift but we were blessed and each year
around this time when we all share so much of our honey and wax with
others it is important that for the New Year each of us with the
bee gift remembers that one of the responsibilities of this gift is to
continue the keeping of bees by also sharing our beekeeping experiences
with the next generations. You all have done well here this last year
and I salute you all, commercial beekeeper, hobby beekeepers, beekeeper
scientist, beekeeper educator, and beekeeper regulator!

  God Blessed us All!

Happy Christmas and may you all be Blessed more in the New Year with
new beekeeping knowledge and good beekeeping experiences to share with
us all.

                       ttul, the OLd Drone
               Andy Nachbaur, Los Banos, California
---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ "Where there are fruits & nuts, there are beekeepers"