From:
Robert Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 00:16:28 -0500
On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Peter Wilson wrote:

> A popular hobby here in Canada is homebrewing beer from kits............
> Usually the instructions call for the addition of 2 kilos of sugar.

No!   1 kg or 1.5 is usual for added sugar.

> However honey works very well and the finished beer is very palatable.

Yes!  Honey is better than sugar to add to beer kits. Malt extract,
however, is better... [although mashing pale malt grains and adding the
resulting liquid to a beer kit is far better]....

> The best kits I have found are from Australia - Coopers.

Again, I disagree...there are much nicer kit beers that Coopers....
Coopers was the first beer kit that I tried and I almost never did
homebrewing again!!!!  But I gave it another chance with a Brewmaker
kit from the U.K. and decided to keep at it.

> Their STOUT - a dark beer- is very good.

The Coopers stout kit is O K ... it covers up the nastiness inherent int
the other coopers products, because of its heavy flavour.

BTW ...Use a strong flavoured honey for brewing or else just use sugar or
malt...dont waste the honey if you aren't going to taste the final effect
of the honey.
Cheers, Rob