From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2015 09:54:26 -0400
> The creation of pollinator-friendly habitats has not increased the diversity of flowering plants and such schemes will consequently only benefit a limited suite of species.
> It would seem to me a limited number of species is better than none.

Hi there
One of the problems I have with pollinator conservation proposals coming from special interest groups is they tend to favor native pollinators and often refer to the honey bee as an invasive species. As a beekeeper, this really ticks me off.

On the other hand, schemes that benefit honey bees only have the reverse problem. I think we should be concerned about all beneficial insects and provide habitat and forage that promotes their continued abundance.

While there is no real yardstick with which to measure diversity, it's pretty easy to describe the lack of it and the negative consequences of it. So, promoting diversity is always a good thing. A healthy ecosystem is a diverse one.

PLB