From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:02:20 -0500
Peter said:

>  a. Pure Honey
>  b. Pure natural US grade A
>  c. Canadian Clover

> The second, ignoring the first word - fine,

What, that tacky trick works even in France?
I get a laugh from the bottles that feature a large badge sort of thing
in red, white and blue saying "USDA Grade A".  Looks like a WWII
aircraft insignia for a fighter plane.  But in much smaller print?  The usual
statement that the honey "may come from" a list of countries longer than
the list of members of the UN Security Council.

> but the latter as a cheat. Legally correct!, sure (or at least presumed to be) -
> but on opening and tasting - the only thing that I could discern was an extremely
> high percentage of Rape (Canola) honey. Nothing wrong with the honey, except
> it was being passed off as Clover.

Here you may have the old "51%" problem.  The "predominant" nectar source
is what goes on the label, even though the taste of the "minority component"
may overpower the "majority".

Or perhaps it may be a colloquial expression to call Canola "Canadian Clover".
I have seen a Massey-Ferguson tractor included in a list of "recreational vehicles"
offered at a Canadian auction, so there may be extreme cultural differences
at work here.   :)

                jim