From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:57:33 -0500
> A child presented with a frontal picture of both [Varroa spp] would know
> they are not the same.

agreed!

For the new members we discussed back when Dr. Anderson discovered varroa
jacobsoni was not the problem ( disputed at the time but quickly the
research community agreed) that I had said when shown slides of varroa j. at
a *years ago* Missouri State Beekeepers meeting (slides sent to state bee
inspectors) which showed one side round and the other oblong I thought funny
to our state bee inspector Joe Franka. Joe could not explain and gave me the
look I ask too many questions (in archives). He might have said "move along
so others can look in the microscope"
My partner Glenn Davis at the time might remember what Joe said exactly.
Glenn and I discussed the difference. (yes Glenn spells his name Glenn not
Glen)

After the discovery of varroa destructor I went back and found the slide
plates which showed an obvious difference in ABJ and posted the year and
month?(in archives)

I questioned Denis Anderson ( yes he spells his first name Denis) and Denis
said varroa J. are round and destructor are oblong. After the clarification
all I have observed were oblong. There are different halo types of
destructor but all are oblong. I suppose rare round examples might exist.

Other glaring examples of wrong science corrected:

The world was flat.

The sun revolves around the earth.

bob